BBQ pulled pork sliders with homemade potato chips
GEHA | June 18, 2019
These sweet and savory sliders are simple, satisfying and great for any get together.
BBQ sauce ingredients:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, plain applesauce
- 2 tbsp. sugar-free peach preserves
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
For the homemade potato chips:
- 1 medium baking potato
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 baking sheets
- parchment paper
For the pulled pork:
- 1-1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2-1/3 pounds lean, cut pork loin roast (all visible fat discarded)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, plain applesauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small onion (coarsely chopped)
For the pulled pork and sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine thyme, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika and pepper. Rub evenly over pork. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup applesauce, 1/4 cup vinegar, honey, chicken broth and water. In slow cooker, scatter onions to cover the bottom of the dish. Place pork on top of the onion and pour the applesauce mixture over the pork. Cook on low setting for six to seven hours.
- Remove meat from slow cooker and discard remaining cooking liquid. When cool enough to touch, shred pork by hand or with two forks, discarding any fat and/or bones.
- Whisk together applesauce, preserves, chili powder and vinegar to make the sauce.
- Toss the sauce with the pulled pork. Fill each slider bun with about 1/4 cup of pork.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Slice potato as thinly as possible, into about 1/8-inch thin slices.
- Place one sheet of parchment paper on one of the baking sheets. Spray another coat of cooking spray over the potatoes. Place another sheet of parchment paper. Turn the other baking sheet upside down on top of the baking sheet with the potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover top baking sheet and parchment paper, sprinkle with pepper and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove any chips that begin to turn too brown before the 15 minutes is over. Let cool and serve with pork sliders.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional values per serving:
|10.5 g||total fat|
|2.5 g||saturated fat|
|8 g||dietary fiber|
Reprinted on June 18, 2019, courtesy of the American Heart Association. For more, visit heart.org.