Tips for good dental health
GEHA | December 8, 2019
Good dental health is important for your overall health. Poor oral health can cause tooth decay, gum disease, tooth loss and oral cancer.
A chronic disease such as arthritis, heart disease or stroke, diabetes, emphysema, hepatitis C or being obese can lower your body’s resistance to infection, making oral health problems more severe.
Here’s how to keep a healthy mouth and strong teeth:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled brush using fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily.
- Use mouthwash to remove food particles left after brushing and flossing.
- Eat a healthy diet and limit food with added sugars.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially if you have a dry mouth.
- Avoid tobacco use.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Schedule dental checkups and cleanings for at least every six months.
- Contact your dentist as soon as an oral health problem arises.