GEHA | June 9, 2020
Nonstick cooking spray
¼ cup canned green chiles
4 eggs, beaten
¼ tsp. black pepper
2 10-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
1 ½ cup cheddar, pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese
4 slices turkey bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Lightly coat a small skillet with cooking spray.
- Saute green chiles over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes. Add beaten eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled and set. Season with pepper.
- Lightly coat a second, larger skillet with cooking spray. Place one tortilla in the skillet and cook over medium heat until air bubbles begin to form, about 1 minute. Flip tortilla over and cook for 1 minute more without letting tortilla get crispy.
- Spread half the cheese evenly over the tortilla, covering to the edges.
- Reduce heat to low. Quickly arrange half the cooked bacon and half the egg mixture over the cheese. Cook until the cheese starts to melt, about 1 minute.
- Fold tortilla in half to create a half-moon shape. Flip folded tortilla over and cook until it is lightly toasted and the cheese filling is completely melted, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer quesadilla to a cutting board.
- Recoat the skillet with cooking spray and repeat with the second tortilla and remaining cheese, bacon and egg mixture.
- Cut each quesadilla into 3 wedges and serve immediately with fresh salsa.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional values per serving:
|10.0 g||total fat|
|140 mg||saturated fat|
|5 g||dietary fiber|
Reprinted on June 10, 2020, courtesy of the American Diabetes Association. For more, visit diabetesfoodhub.org.